Monday, February 1, 2010

January: Resolutions in Review

January was an eye-opener as we began to live our resolutions. The first struggle that became evident was that Andrew would often forget our resolutions, especially when it came to dining out. Another thing that I realized, since it is primarily my responsibility, is that I have not been very good about managing our budget. After moving in with the in-laws I got out of the habit of budgeting because we really didn't need to, but we probably could have saved a lot more money while living with them if I had been more diligent.

As the budget goes I need to set some limits otherwise this whole resolution/experiment of buying local won't work. I want to show that it IS affordable to do it, and that it does not take that much work. I ran into a snag however when trying to decide how much to allocate in the budget for groceries such as which items to include; just food, or also personal care products, etc.? Another question was how much the average American family of our size spends. Through Google I discovered that the amount varies widely but tends to be between 5-15% sometimes 20% of the annual income. Here is the budget that I ended up figuring out, but I am definitely still open for input if you think it is too much or too little.
  • $200/month for groceries including personal care and household items.
  • $20/month for food storage
  • $10/month for clothes for Ravenna (Andrew and I each have a monthly allowance which we use if we want to buy clothing or whatever our hearts desire).
  • $30/month for eating at local restaurants and participating in Borough events
  • $495/season for our CSA share; our grocery budget will be $100/month from late May-mid October.
  • $250 to start our garden which includes supplies, buying a composter, seeds etc.
Obviously our household budget is more expanded than this but this covers what we will mainly focus on for our resolutions. As far as our garden goes, the large amount needed to start the garden is only a one-time expenditure. As soon as we get our composting going, the only thing we will need to purchase for our garden every year is mulch and seeds.

We didn't do great this month with buying local and I blame it on my Costco exemption. I LOVE Costco and I did a bit of impulse buying this month. We bought a paper shredder because we have needed one for a while but the rest was food expenditure. If I were to calculate the amount I spent on food this month, it would probably be about $250 including food storage items.

Here is where I need your help, dear reader:

-What do you think of my budget? What can be changed/modified and suggestions on how to do it?
-Recommendations of a composting bin. I would like one that spins.
-Ways that you save money on your groceries keeping in mind that we buy mostly organic produce and rarely buy processed food.
-Share your recipes for low-cost meals (especially helpful if they are dairy/gluten free).

The whole reason that I am writing this on my blog is for accountability and ideas, so PLEASE help me. Also, if you want to ask questions, do that too, that way we can all help each other.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Budgets are so hard! :) Ryan does all the budgeting in our family. And, I have to say, they vary so much from family to family, depending on what each one feels is most important.

As for the composter, my dad has a really cool one--I think it's a ComposTumbler. Not sure exactly, but it looks just like the ones I've found online. He really likes it. (We have yet to start composting...)

As for meals, one of my favorites which is gluten-free and can be dairy free also is Taco Salad. I really miss the creaminess of cheese, so I sometimes mix mayo and salsa to make a dressing for it. It's also good meatless. I LOVE "Refried Beans without the Refry" from allrecipes.com. I tweak it a little, adding 1/2 chicken broth and 1/2 water and cutting back on the pepper.

Just a side story: We joined a CSA when we moved up here, but only like 2-3 items in our bi-weekly box of about 12-15 items were local. The rest were shipped in from out-of-state or even another country. We thought that defeated the purpose.

Dejah said...

I wish I could help, but I have no advice for those areas. Mike and I always struggle with our budget, because we aren't very organized.

Jenni said...

All my wise meal ideas tend to end up at my blog http://brightonkitchen.blogspot.com (look at the tags on the side...I don't do gluten free, but there are certainly dairy-free--I think I have a tag for that--and a lot that could easily be adapted). Not everything there is healthy per se, but there are not very many processed products (cream of whatever soup for example). I do processed stuff periodically for the ease of it, but it's not my norm. :)

As for the budget--it's hard to say whether it's realistic (or appropriate) without knowing what things cost in your area. What is the cost of a gallon of milk (the regular stuff at the regular grocery store)? How about a dozen eggs? I realize those aren't the ones you use, but that kind of thing helps give a sense of what costs are there.
When I was in Utah I had $200/mo for groceries (family of 3), and that was in a cheap area and not getting organic anything. I stuck to it but some months were harder than others. I have to spend more like $300-350 here (yes, we have another eater, but I also have 2 of us on WIC now too). Still not affording the organic anything--I'm focusing on local for the time being because it's what my budget will allow, and we just decided that was our priority until we've cut into our debt a bit.

One thing I would look at in deciding whether your budget is appropriate--is it closer to the 5% or the 20% of your income? How high a priority is this for you? I can tell you that kids' clothing doesn't have to be expensive (I'm working on a 'frugal friday' about that right now actually). If good food is your priority, then go for it whole-heartedly. Cut into your personal play/clothing budgets. I was mourning a shirt wearing out the other day when I realized that I've been wearing it for over a decade. I just don't spend money on clothes for myself until I truly NEED something...for example I only have 3 pairs of shoes (sneakers, boots, church) and it frees up the money for things that matter more.

(am I setting a world record for longest-comment-ever yet?!)
On the composter--google for directions to make one yourself. I'm sure i've seen that kind of thing. my dad bought a 'tumblebug' which is like a big dodecahedran that you can roll around the backyard...I don't recommend it, it was very difficult to get the lid on/off even though it was easy to roll.

TopHat said...

The grocery budget is our worst aspect. We do great with everything else. But lately since Margaret is eating more snacks (supply issues to to pregnancy) and I'm eating more snacks (again, pregnancy), it's hard to buckle down on it. I just hope that since we're coming out in the green everywhere else (ie we only filled up our car once in January instead of every two weeks like in the past), it'll even out.

Carrie said...

Because I think his advice is good, DP says:

What we do to separate out our household supplies from the groceries is either split the transaction up at the store (which works unless you're in a hurry, or there's a long line behind you) and/or save the receipt and split it up ourselves. We track and categorize our expenses every Monday night after FHE.

Also, we don't have a separate food storage budget because we are constantly cycling through our storage; it's just part of our grocery budget. But I could see if you were trying to expand your supply it would be a good idea to have a separate category for that.

We also do the personal allowance thing. It's been great. We each have a checking account with a debit card and we do a monthly transfer of our "allowance" amount into that account. So if I want to eat out with a buddy I can do it without affecting our monthly budget

Lafianza.doula said...

I guess being that I have 3 kids and we're all on a strict diet - but I am bewildered at your low grocery budget allowance. I make almost everything from scratch (and I truly mean that!) but your montly budget is smaller than my weekly! I kid you not. and I'm so not a big spender - infact I LOATHE shopping lol but anyhow... I guess every family has differing circumstances. the best thing to do is to leave with in your means and to shop in a responsible way for your family. It seems you are doing just that. and after i finish picking my jaw up off the ground over how small your allowance for groceries is per week, I realize I too am being diligent.

Leslie said...

Hi Carrie!

I love reading up on your family in PA! We go through our budget one night at the end of each month and pay bills/allocate $$ where it needs to go. Bills paid first and then the other money is divided up on a percentage basis. We do the personal money too and it is a great idea to give you your own wiggle room. We do things in cash and it keeps me within our budget. We have a standing freezer in our garage and that is one way we make our produce last: FREEZE it if possible. So nice with veggies and berries when there is an abundance. Check out the book: "Make it fast, Cook it slow." It is a slow cooker book with a wide range of recipes and the author has a gluten free family so she tells how to do each one that way. I'm looking into doing a CSA this summer and I've been curious about one ever since I've read about it on your blog.