Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Dish: February Groceries Part 3

After factoring out the Costco diapers and furniture that left me with $21.37 to spend on groceries for the rest of the month. Could I do it? Probably not, but I would certainly try. The day before the big blizzard I went to The Country Store to pick up some necessities which set me back $21.73...ouch! I bought two dozen free-range eggs, 2 lbs. buckwheat flour, natural hot dogs (these were really interesting), pine nuts, 3 lbs. garbanzo beans, brown sugar and 4 lbs of sweet potatoes for .49/lb.! I went a bit crazy buying a bunch of things that we didn't really need.

On Saturday I bought 3 lbs. of crab legs from a local fishmonger for our traditional Valentines Day crab fest: $18.93 I have always wanted to say I went to a fishmonger. I don't know if I will go back there again because the owner was really rude to her employees showing a complete disregard of them or the customers, and that is very uncool in my book. Maybe she was having a bad day though, and as I learned from the Veggie Tales movie that I saw recently, "Everyone deserves a second chance."

Already I was over the budget by $19.29 and there were still two weeks left in the shortest/longest month of the year.

My last trip to the grocery store set me back only $69.29 and that was only food. Oh yes, and we needed dessert for one of our dinner parties, ice cream floats with 7 different kinds of "root" beers to choose from, and that total came to $16.27. Our grand total spending on groceries for the month: $304.85 which is $84.85 over budget. I think I need to do a little tinkering.

2 comments:

Breinholt Family said...

Carrie! I think you did awesome! Make some small adjustments and you will do great with this new budget. I've been buying eggs from Rebecca Ash and I love it! I'm trying in my own little way to cut out the "big box" retailers in a place where that's really all you have!

Kristina L. said...

You don't know me but I was ready your blog and found myself always wanting to do just what your doing. I despise Walmart and have told myself on many occasions that I would stop shopping there, but I find it hard not to. I applaud you in your attempt. I am however good at bugeting. I suggest if you have the time to clip coupons to use them (if you don't already) I never pay for many household/personal items anymore since using them plus with the help of a couple websites. Try www.commonsensewithmoney.com or my blog, however I just started it and it still needs work. Saving with the coupon Lady -Kristina