Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Two Weeks of Meals with the Whitlocks


What do we eat for two weeks with those groceries? Here is my menu for the first two weeks of February. I am not sure if you can read it in this format but notice how I divide up our meal plan: Sunday, easy; Monday, meat; Tuesday, vegetarian; Wednesday, poultry; Thursday, vegetarian; Friday, seafood or dining out; Saturday, new recipe or leftovers. This menu isn't totally inclusive because I really stink at side dishes and usually just cut up some fruit or steam some veggies. I try to include a protein, starch, fruit and veggie at every meal, though I usually fail because I really don't like veggies unless they are hidden in something.

For lunches we do some combination of fresh fruit and/or veggies, eggs, peanut butter concoctions, hummus, guacamole or salsa and chips, green smoothies, and sometimes left overs. My favorite lunch is chipotle sweet potato fries and I make them about once a week. Breakfast for Ravenna is almost always either cold or hot cereal and homemade applesauce or a banana. She is pretty picky these days. For me, I make own oatmeal or homemade granola with soy milk. I bake about every other day. Usually I make granola, quick breads (pumpkin, zucchini, banana, apple etc.) and once or twice a week, cookies or another treat.

As I commented before, I stock up on enough animal protein to last about 2-3 months. Last month I stocked up on fish. This month I got ground beef. We still have a lot of chicken left so we might not have to stock up until the middle of March, or whenever it goes on sale. Occasionally I will throw in a steak to keep my man happy but usually I stir-fry it so we don't need very much.

If anyone is interested I will keep up with the "what we eat" posts pretty regularly. I definitely want to do the "how we spend our budget" posts because they help me to not fudge the budget. Eventually I would like a budget conscience to be ingrained, but until then, your opinion matters! Oh, and if you are following the "Food Storage Made Easy" plan, I am still trying to figure out a month of meals that I like enough to keep in my cooking repertoire. Most of the meals that I have planned I have never tried before. Eventually I would like to settle down, but I will probably need to have 3 different menu's depending on the season. Gah! I think too much.

5 comments:

DP said...

The "what we eat" is a great idea. Sounds tasty! I am impressed that you're able to do all that within your budget. I guess planning is the key.

Do you have a recipe blog, too?

Lauren said...

I love the sausage rice casserole (if we're thinking of the same one... which I think we are). I guess you're supposed to use ground sausage, but I didn't realize that, and used kielbasa instead, which turned out way yummy. I would highly recommend doing it that way.

Lafianza.doula said...

this was fun to look over! I see how it works for you. you guys don't eat! lol no I mea you eat of course - and good yummy food too.... you just don't eat much!

we go through so much food with 2 older kids now. when I brought them home as little newborns I had no idea they'd soon be eating me out of house and home! lol atleast Ven is still just nuring.... then again that makes me ravenous myself! ha

anyhow I should do this sometime myself! we have a much more limited diet of course... so it might not be as thrilling!

Carrie said...

Nope, I don't have a food blog. I think I will just post recipes that I really like on here. I like one-stop blogging.

Oh btw, I blew it at Costco today. TOTALLY blew it. :( I have no self-control.

Mary said...

I do meal planning too, but for a month at a time and groceries the same, and then those fresh items and neccesaries as needed. And I am terrible at side dishes too.