Saturday, February 13, 2010

Broth vs. Stock

Look at that broth!
This is from the bones of a whole chicken and a turkey breast.

Do you know the difference? The terms are used pretty much interchangeably, but there is a difference. Stock is made by boiling meat, vegetables and/or herbs and broth is made by boiling only the bones, usually slowly at low temperatures. Nutritionally, broth is the way to go because by boiling only the bones you can access the marrow, which according to the Weston A. Price Foundation:
...contains minerals in a form the body can absorb easily—not just calcium but also magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals. It contains the broken down material from cartilage and tendons--stuff like chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine, now sold as expensive supplements for arthritis and joint pain.

I learned how to make my own bone broths from my friend, MommyBee who has a great tutorial on how to do this. The only thing that I might add from my own research is that if you want to cook chicken bones for more than 2 hours you need to do it at a super low temperature, as in a slow cooker. It is also important to skim off the fat to get rid of impurities and toxins.

Making a stock is pretty similar to making a broth, but you don't simmer it for as long; usually less than two hours. It is really easy to make a vegetable stock, and just as you save the bones from meat, you can save your vegetable scraps/peels and even less-than-fresh produce for a great stock. The best veggies to use for your stock are:
...onions, garlic, potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, celery, mushrooms, peas, corn (empty corn cobs can also add lots of flavor to veg. stock), parsley, green beans, beets, bell peppers, scallions, green onions, shallots, fresh basil or other herbs, etc., etc.
I will usually just save my scraps in a plastic bag in the freezer and when I get a bag full, I cover them with water, throw in some whole spices (like a bay leaf), cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Then strain and you have a lovely stock to use in any recipe calling for it or broth. Easy! Be careful to use any scraps from the cabbage family, such as broccoli, very sparingly because they have an intense flavor. Apparently you can also can stock/broth if you have a pressure cooker.

5 comments:

Lafianza.doula said...

you know... around my area we always called bone broth "stock" and "broth" is with the meat and what not.

so basically the exact opposite of what you say... perhaps this is a area to area issue? I don't know. my it's simmer bones is definitely called "stock" where I'm from. and vice versa.

Lafianza.doula said...

p.. how long to you simmer your bones? it's very light - when I simmer it I simmer for 12-24 hours on very low and it's rich colored. strange!

Carrie said...

I cook them for 24 hours. From what I have read the color varies widely depending on the bones themselves. I also forgot to add vinegar so that may have something to do with it.

Kelly said...

I have good intentions of doing this someday :0)

Lafianza.doula said...

honestly I forget to add vinegar half the time. it's just that step that often gets left out when I'm busy.

what bones do you use for the stock? (or in your case "broth" lol)

also. did you still wanna hang out tomorrow? or some other time this week? if nothing else we'd love to have you over. we switched house around so sean works in an office on the other side of the kitchen now so we could have the living room and kitchen to hang out in. it's much easier this way :)