Saturday, February 6, 2010

This Week's Kitchen Winners

If I had a more than decent camera and some photography skills I would take gorgeous photos of my favorite recipes in all their glory, BUT I don't so you will just have to take my word for it.

Carrie's White Chicken Chili
This one wins the food storage award and it is the perfect fall/winter dish with a side of cornbread. I adapted this from Delene Bullard's "Super Simple White Chicken Chili" recipe in Gillette 1st Ward's "Lunch Club" cookbook but changed it enough that I am going to call it my own.

1 lb. of Great Northern Beans, soaked and cooked or 5 cans rinsed and drained
3 cups chicken broth or 2 cans
2 cups chopped chunk chicken (I used 2 cans of chicken); Can use two chicken breasts cooked and chunked.
2-3 small cans of green chilies
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. of taco seasoning (I used a spice blend with no MSG)
2 tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in cold water to thicken, if desired

In a large pot combine all the ingredients except cornstarch. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. Thicken with cornstarch, if desired, and boil for one minute. This should serve 6-8 adults.

Crispy Potato Chicken
This recipes wins the "Best use of Potato Flakes" award. Andrew's aunt Diane submitted this one in the famous "Purple MFR (Montgomery Family Reunion)" cookbook. I don't generally try many of the MFR recipes (there are 3 MFR's) because of the high sugar and dairy content of many of the recipes, but there are occasionally jewel's such as this one that fit our dietary needs.

1 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese (I omitted this)
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
10 bone-in chicken pieces, legs and thighs (I just used 4 large chicken thighs and it seemed the perfect amount. If I were doing more I would want to double the amount of spices)
2 eggs
2 tbsp. water
1 c. mashed potato flakes (I used less)
1 stick of butter, melted (you can use 1/2 if you do less chicken)

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bag combine spices and cheese and shake chicken in two batches (again I only did one because I was using less chicken) until they are coated. Pour the butter into a 9X13 baking pan and coat the bottom well. In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and water. Dip chicken into the eggs mixture and then coat with the potato flakes and add to the pan. Bake, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes, turn the chicken; bake for 15-30 minutes longer. Check the temperature to see if the chicken is done at 15 minutes. How long you bake it depends on your oven and how thick the chicken is. I would check the done-ness after no more than 35 minutes in the oven.

1 comment:

MWilde said...

Thanks, Carrie, I can't wait to try these!