Friday, April 30, 2010

Ravenna had a Birthday!

 Apparently she also can't believe she is two years-old.

Ravenna is 2 years old! I cannot believe it. We had a little family party to celebrate with grandparents, great-grandparents and even a crazy uncle. In our family we try to make sure that the gifts we give are meaningful and/or useful and everyone was very helpful in keeping up with that tradition as well as respecting our 2010 family resolution.

This year I made Ravenna a felt birthday crown that she can wear every birthday. She loves hats so the crown was a BIG hit. Andrew even got in on the handmade action and helped me to dye some play silks using Kool-Aid and this somewhat ambiguous tutorial. We also got her some fun crayon rocks.

The Birthday Crown

Dressing-up in the hand-dyed play silks.

I love this little girl so much it takes my breath away. How could I not love such a spunky, friendly, genuinely happy person? She is such a fabulous human being; I feel baffled as to how I was chosen to be her mother. Just so I will remember, here are some of my favorite things a:bout Ravenna at age 2:
  • When she wants to sing, she pretends she is conducting music
  • She figured out how to use my iPod Touch and appropriated it for her own use. Whenever she see's it she says "Pod? Pod!"
  • She loves to do songs with motions especially "Head, shoulders, knees and toes" and "Once there was a snowman"
  • She copies the things I say when I am frustrated like "Oh, dear" and "Okay...okay" 
  • When I am upstairs and she wants me to come help her with something she says "Carrie! Carrie!"
  • She talks to herself when she is playing and sounds strangely like me...
  • She loves to roughhouse with her daddy 
  • She loves to be outside and garden with me; she is very gentle with the seedlings
  • She is obsessed with animals as long as they don't get too close
  • She is not afraid of bugs
  • She makes friends wherever she goes, especially elderly ladies
I guess I could go on forever listing things I love about Ravenna, but I think I will go tell her myself.

11 comments:

sarahflib said...

I love it. Happy birthday to Ravenna!

Becky said...

She sounds like a very sweet little girl! Happy Birthday Ravenna!

Lisa said...

Aw, she's adorable! Happy Birthday Ravenna!

Your crown and playsilks look great! I've made more than a few of both of those myself.

Jenn said...

Happy bday! She is so cute! Congrats! I wish I could refrain from buying presents and making them instead. What wonderful examples Ravenna has!

Lauren said...

I almost cried, wishing I could be there so badly! Give my darling precious niece a great big hug for me.

Brittany Hall said...

What a cute crown! Happy Birthday to Ravenna, and happy motherhood to you! :)

Unknown said...

2 years? Are you SURE?
She is a doll, reading the cute things she does makes me excited to see Parker do those things. So fun.

Laura Lynn said...

Happy Birthday! I hope she wasn't too sniffly!

Carrie said...

Laura, she was and endless stream of mucus, but was still in a great mood.

The Hettinger Homestead said...

Happy [late] birthday! What a cutie you are!

The Wengerts said...

Happy Bday Ravenna! I've just discovered your blog, but it's good to read your news :) We're expecting baby #2 (boy) for the beginning of November. Hope all is well on your side!