Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Changing The Way We Eat

A moment of Ravenna for those who read this blog only to see her
Now, for everyone else...

Everyone has their own ideas of what is "healthy" eating or on the other side of the spectrum don't really care what they eat; whatever is cheapest and easiest. Some people follow the fad diets, others are religiously low fat, or high protein. Over the years since my diagnosis with insulin resistance/pre-diabetes DrewCarrie tried many a different diet plan in an effort to stay healthy and feel great.

The first post-diagnosis diet was the diabetes recommended "low fat/sugar; high fiber/protein" diet which meant that I was basically allowed to eat beans and vegetables. I felt miserable and that diet lasted only about a month. When I got pregnant we went on the "fast food/cereal/ice cream diet. This was probably not the best food for a fetus, but I am sure many pregnant women will understand. After Ravenna was born and I found myself as a stay-at-home mom in the lonely state of Wyoming we began the "Mormon Mommy" diet which was based around low-cost meals and jello salads. This was a good learning time for me as I learned to plan menu's and make meals from scratch. I also developed the skill of making bread from a starter culture which was a precursor to my life-changing discovery, but more on that later.

After we moved to Pennsylvania I started experimenting a bit with vegetarian cooking, unfortunately for my Father-in-law. No offense to vegetarians, but most vegetarian meals lack a satisfying flavor and texture and my cooking self-esteem took a huge hit. Then at 15 months Ravenna developed some nasty digestive issues and so began the "elimination diet" saga. We went dairy-free, soy-free, and any other free you can think of until we found gluten-free. While I am not sure being gluten-free made a big difference for Ravenna, it sure did for me and that discovery is what led me to our final destination:  Traditional Foods.

Through the blogosphere I discovered that many gluten-free bloggers also followed a diet based around a cookbook called Nourishing Traditions which lays the foundation for a Traditional Foods diet. Most simply this book says that the way your ancestors ate is the way you should eat and that diet will enable our bodies to function best. That idea really struck a chord with me and given my recent readings of In Defense of Food and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, I embraced the idea wholeheartedly. I felt that in all my culinary wanderings, I had finally found my home. With Andrew's blessing, DrewCarrie once again radically changed our diet.

 The "Fermentation Station"
Fermenting Sauerkraut and Water Kefir

To give you a basic idea,  this is what eating a Traditional Foods diet entails for us: 
  • Sprouting, fermenting, and soaking foods to make them more nutrient dense and digestible.
  • Very liberally using good, natural fats in our diets such as butter, EVOO, palm shortening, extra-virgin coconut oil and even lard (read this enjoyable article if you don't believe me).
  • No processed or artificial ingredients especially MSG, high-fructose corn syrup and sugar substitutes
  • Buy as many locally sourced, pasture-raised animal products as possible. I learned in my four years in the FFA that the way that you treat animals raised for meat/dairy/eggs does matter very much in the quality of the product. It makes sense to me that it is safer and more nutritious to eat products produced by animals that eat a natural diet and that are cared for in a humane fashion. Food safety is a HUGE problem in the US, mainly because of the way factory farms raise their animals/crops. Yes, I pay more for what we eat but I do so with the assurance that if I have a concern, I can go straight to the source.
  • No refined sugar and using natural sugars sparingly. We use Sucanat/Rapadura, honey, maple and date sugars.
This is a very general picture of what we do. If you were to classify this diet into a group I would call this a "whole foods" diet. After gradually easing into this diet for a number of months I am finding my stride. There is a lot to learn (hello! Eating like a Pioneer, people!) but there have been so many rewards so far. I have found that eating a TF diet helps me to feel the best, Andrew loves it and Ravenna's digestive issues have gone away. This is the diet that works best for OUR family. While I believe that most, if not all, people could benefit from aspects of eating a traditional foods diet, I don't believe that it is right for everyone. This works for us and we are very happy!

5 comments:

Lafianza.doula said...

lol your "mormon mommy" diet sounds exactly like the "mennonite mommy" diet I've become accustomed to with my friends. I'm not a big fan of it personally, but even if I was I can't eat a single thing in jello salad! ;)

Gluten Free Sourdough Baker said...

Very nice blog and your fermentation area looks splendid! Wanted to let you know that Nourishing Traditions was a life changer for me. Using those principles I was able to create excellent Gluten free sourdough breads. I offer a free recipe download of the starter and pancake recipe at:
http://www.sanctuary-healing.com/food-recipes.html

Judging by your fermentation corner you already have everything you need to make the starter. I use water kefir to boost and preserve the starter.

I wish you well,
sharon a. kane
www.food-medicine.com
glutenfreesourdough.blogspot.com

Campbell Family said...

Although I could never eat that way (maybe lazyness or something?)I think it sounds very intersting and makes sense--eating how the pioneers ate. I'm so glad you found something that works!

Kelly said...

Pretty much what we're going towards too.

It's overwhelming to me all these changes i.e. learning new recipes that we actually like, gardening, driving kind of far to buy our raw milk. I haven't even gotten to real soaking yet, besides beans, but I will. And someday I know it will all be habit and less of a drudgery!

Becca Meservy said...

Thanks for sharing this Carrie! I wondered about your story, and it was nice of you to share it! I'm glad you found what works for you all!