Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The First Harvest!


The garden is doing very well so far! We had a problem with a cat using it as a litter box but I think it finally realized that the garden bed was not conducive to clean paws, either that or the animal repellent we put out finally did its job. In the front row you can see my lettuce patch. I just planted six more lettuce seeds. One of my varieties did not germinate at all (grrr...) so there should be more here but c'est la vie. The spinach is doing lovely. We have 4 plants right now but only one is ready to harvest. In the very back we have some bush peas and the big ones in the middle are the broccoli. The second spring planting is finished and there will probably be one more planting in a few more weeks to keep things going.

 Our First Harvest

Indoors we have zucchini and sweet peppers germinating and a bunch of beautiful tomato seedlings basking in the artificial light. Oh and great news! we might be able to get a small raised bed in the backyard! There is one spot in the back that gets sun most of the day. I will probably plant my tomatoes in pots and put them back there to see how they do and then next year, if they do well, we can put in another raised bed and have lots of stuff growing back there.

4 comments:

Mary said...

do you know I just realized that i missed bookclub last night because i stayed in the car talking to you. very fun and well spent time I might add, but makes me feel like I am losing my mind that I didn't even remember it till now.

Becca Sharp said...

Don't you LOVE home gardens? We love growing tomatoes and carrots and pumpkins. This year, we're adding red and green peppers and squash to the mix. Can't wait to plant them. They're all sitting in the window in our kitchen just waiting for the final frost threat to leave.

I'm very impressed with your harvest so far!

Blasphemous Homemaker said...

Hurray!

Breinholt Family said...

So GREAT! YUMMMMY! And yes I am very jealous!!