Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Whitlock Family Resolves

While pondering on the economic situation of this country, after attending a home-party of all things, I wondered what on earth I could do to help strengthen my local, state and national economies and put my dollar to the best use. I recalled an article in our local borough gazette which stated reasons why we should buy locally instead of shopping at Big Box stores. One of the most compelling reason the article stated was that as much as .60 of every dollar spent at locally owned businesses goes back into the community compared to just .06 for Big Box stores and .20 for chain stores (this information is according to the Susquehanna Sustainable Business Network). With that in mind, Andrew and I discussed and we came to a resolution:

For 2010 it is resolved that the Whitlock Family will:
  1. No longer shop at Big Box retailers unless absolutely necessary, excepting Costco for food storage purposes.
  2. Strive to buy only US made goods and if we cannot, buy fair-trade items.
  3. Buy as many used/handmade items as possible sourcing Etsy and local consignment/thrift shops.
  4. Eat at locally owned restaurants instead of restaurant chains.
  5. Grow a small garden and purchase a seasonal share in a CSA farm.
  6. Support our borough by attending borough events and fundraisers.
  7. (Dare I share this one since past experience was...eh?) Become involved in a community group.
We have not shopped at Walmart since September so cutting out all big box stores seemed like a logical next step. Can we do this and maintain our budget and build our food storage? I really hope so and I will keep you updated on our progress. All the resolutions may not be about money necessarily but we are all about building our community. After all, Andrew's paycheck comes mainly from local tax revenue; the very least we can do is to do our best to keep that money in our community and give back a little service. Wish us luck!

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Good luck! Because our lifestyle pretty much wipes big box stores out the picture (except for Target...for budgeting purposes I still have to occasionally make an excursion to Target), I can tell you that what you're doing is definitely doable. Doable, but it still can be a pretty hard blow to the budget. Buying locally usually also means spending more (at least it does in our case)...which is why I can't do it for everything. We're stretched pretty thin as it is.

Joseph and Tiffany said...

Good luck with your garden! I started one last year and found that I really love gardening. It's more than just growing your own food, it's relaxing and fun and even spiritual to be out working in the garden.

Hannah S said...

Good luck! They say Target is starting to lean toward wholesale now too. I cannot live w/o Costco either. However, I try to avoid Walmart at all costs but deem it necessary sometimes....I am curious to see if you do indeed save money.

Lauren said...

Does this mean Andrew won't use my penney's gift card?

Jenni said...

Good for you! I haven't formally made a goal like this, although I've formally committed to working that direction ("buy more local/homemade" etc). I have boycotted Walmart for a couple of years now, but I've still gone to other big box stores (Target and Fred Meyer + some smaller chain groceries etc) because I don't have a lot of choices with where I am. This coming year we hope to hit the farmers market more, grow our own garden, hunt/fish, buy a local beef, etc so hopefully we won't have to rely too much on the grocery store for our food either...that's the one thing that feels like it limits me the most.

I think I may have talked DH into a handmade Christmas this year though--we both agree that it's something we'd need to plan/work for all year, so might as well start now, right?! If it goes as i'm hoping, then there will be only handmade gifts within the immediate family--as in we will make them (probably not even buy handmade, although we might). I'm just giddy thinking about that idea!!

Lisa said...

I think those are great! I would love to do everything on your list, unfortunately living in a small town where we would have to travel alot to do some of those things means that we have to make adjustments. (Walmart is the only store in town.) I used to be part of a CSA and enjoyed it, but driving 1.5 hours round trip every week wasn't very feasible for long.

But I'm totally with you on the garden, buying/making handmade items, shopping fair-trade over the internet, etc. Someday I'll live in an area where I can do the rest.