Tuesday, April 20, 2010

More Thrift Store Finds

These finds are not from this last week, they are from all the way back in January but I forgot to post them.

Last week I found an awesome deal on canning jars and bought 44 of them plus a mismatched set of stainless steel eating utensils, so there wasn't much to see there.

In January I found this super cool vintage fabric and some darning thread. Ever since I saw this tutorial I have wanted to learn how to darn socks. I am not very handy with the fiber arts, but I am very practical and if I can save another sock from being turned into a duster or a sock monkey, so help me I will!

I don't really have plans for the fabric yet. I thought about reupholstering a chair with it since it is a heavier weight cotton, but I am afraid 2 yards won't be enough. I do love the colors though, don't you?


3 comments:

Lafianza.doula said...

does your little rocking chair have a cushion? b/c it would make a great little seat cushion and those are super easy to make (ok super easy is relative. I'm with you on the little fiber arts skill thing... but i reckon it's easy comparatively!)

I'd be willing to buy the fabric from you if you decide you don't want it, btw. I don't know if you know but i have a love affair with all things tree and bird. (real or in art)

Laura Lynn said...

Love the fabric! My mom used to always darn socks. I think I still have some of her darning eggs (the kind with the handle.)Sadly, I haven't tried but always think about it!

Hannah S said...

I always wondered if it was worth the time to darn socks. Tyler goes through them so quickly. He usually just deals with the holes but they look sort of trashy too. anyway, i know what you mean about dusters and sock puppets.