Monday, June 29, 2009

Before I forget...

Today was a crazy day. I got lost taking Ravenna to her appointment for her birthday portraits (better late than never, right?) which I arrived 20 minutes late for so what was supposed to take an hour ended up taking twice that. Darn you Lancaster with your weird street names and illogical city planning!

When I arrived home with my grumpy toddler who refused to nap, I remembered that I was making the evening meal, and it was something that required a significant amount of prep time. Needless to say the rest of my afternoon and evening was spent in meal preparation. The food was good, but next time I will skip the lettuce wraps and just put it over brown rice. I also made a Napa Cabbage salad and a side of fresh pineapple.

The rest of the evening was a bit more relaxed. For Family Home Evening, Ravenna had the lesson, but was asleep, so I showed everyone the Baby Signing Time video so that we can all be on board with helping her learn signs. I really like the program; Jeff thinks that the narrators cheerfulness put Nettie to shame, if that is even possible. We finished with caramel popcorn and a game of 10,000.

Without further ado...CSA Week 4:

1 head of Napa Cabbage
1 head of green leaf lettuce
1/2 pint blueberries (oh so super delicious!)
1/2 pint black raspberries (ditto the above)
1 box of winter peas
1/3 lb. mix of collard greens and colorful swiss chard
2 red beets
3 HUGE green onions (these were like 3 feet tall, no joke)
1 head of bok choi
3 garlic scapes
1 beautiful head of broccoli

Quite a plentiful harvest this week and we have already gone through the onions, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli and the berries! Oh, and this last weekend we started our first harvest from our backyard garden: zucchini, and soon some cucumbers and in a few more weeks TOMATOES!!! I just love the summer.

4 comments:

Henny said...

haha I SO agree about Lancaster's illogical city planning lol. it looks like it was built by toddlers!

also what is: Family Home Evening?

Carrie said...

Family Home Evening, or FHE, is one of the things that the LDS Church encourages its members to do on a weekly basis. One evening a week, usually Monday (though not always), the family will gather together to pray, sing hymns, read scripture, learn a gospel or practical lesson, have a fun activity (also could be working together in the yard etc.) and eat a treat.

This not only is a great time to strengthen family bonds, but it is also great for doing service for others.

Brittany Hall said...

So are you liking your new place in spite of getting lost? :) Sounds like you guys are eating healthy- good for you! We did a community garden this summer and it's so fun to have fresh produce!!

Joseph and Tiffany said...

Both my kids love the baby signing time videos--and I have to agree the lady on those videos is incredibly cheerful.