Friday, June 12, 2009

We have arrived!

Actually, we arrived on VERY early in the morning on the 9th and we have been enjoying the spring here enormously. On Tuesday we went to the Central Market where we were able to pick up some lovely produce and some Whoopie pies! On our way back we stumbled upon an Amish farm where they were selling milk and free-range eggs. The prices were great, the farmers kind, and since it is just around the corner, we will be going back soon. I also got to inspect my the first harvest from my CSA and actually go to the farm to pick up my second order yesterday.

CSA Week 1:
1 lb. Lettuce mix
1 lb. spinach
2 garlic scapes
1 bunch of cilantro
2 boxes of strawberries

CSA Week 2:
1/2 lb. Lettuce mix
1/4 lb. Kale & Asian greens
2 beets
3 garlic scapes
1 bunch of cilantro
1 head of bok choi
2 boxes of strawberries
1 bunch of mint from the "pick your own" patch (we could also get chives)

We are rolling in strawberries right now both with the CSA and Nettie and Jeff's patch. We have 3 boxes in the fridge and a couple pounds in the freezer, plus I made strawberry pie and we had a strawberry spinach salad yesterday. I think I will make jam! The bok choi is already gone. I was so curious to try it that I sauteed some with peanut butter. Yum! Anyone have some great recipes for strawberries or greens?

6 comments:

Jenni said...

I love to just freeze the strawberries--rinse them, take off the stem, chop them in half if you want, then freeze them (if you let them dry before freezing, or lay them all out on a cookie sheet for the first little while in the freezer, then they shouldn't get all stuck together in the bag/container). Then, later on, take a little fresh/canned fruit, a handful of frozen strawberries, a little milk, throw it in the blender, and voila, the best smoothies ever. I LOVE doing them that way because even as it melts it just gets more strawberry-ish (instead of watery as it would with ice cubes). :)

Unknown said...

I'm glad you made it safely! I was thinking of you the other day because on the way home from Salem, we came across a street named Ravenna! I took pictures to document it! :)

Harshes said...

OK, you know that I am sooo jealous. And very happy for you! That all sounds so yum! The farms we have here are great, but there's a lot of driving and they are pricey. Worth it, if you have the money, of course. I wish PA was closer to me!

Rachelle said...

Chocolate dipped strawberries....mmmmm

Kelly said...

Sounds great. I was thinking about this post and wondered is the risk that if the crop(s) is/are bad that you get what you paid for?

Also, I can't believe you guys actually want to move East! Even though I like it here, I want to be back West!

Carrie said...

Kelly, the risk is really quite small because the crop is very diversified. We might not get much of one thing because of disease or pests etc. but we will get plenty of another. Really, the only thing that would kill it for us is a drought, but so far so good.

We LOVE the East coast, but I can understand wanting to be West where your family is, and it does have some good qualities.