Friday, July 3, 2009

Kutztown Folk Festival

This picture says it all! Today we went to a celebration of all things Pennsylvania Dutch at the Kutztown Folk Festival in Kutztown, PA. I am not sure what I was expecting, but it definitely was not struggling to maneuver a stroller through the huge masses of crowds that descended on Kutztown. The weather was decent and there seemed to be plenty to see, but the PEOPLE! There must have been something in the air today because it seemed like everyone was in a bad mood (except Nettie, of course). I actually saw strangers getting into shouting matches with each other on two separate occasions, and on our way to Kutztown Nettie got road-raged by some crazy lady.

On a happier note, though the food was expensive it was pretty tasty. Ravenna got her first taste of sasparilla and funnel cake, Andrew and Nettie sampled the Ox sand which, while Jon dug into a fresh apple dumpling. I also found some yummy maple sugar covered peanuts.

This is my souvenir from the day. There were lots of traditional crafts and really unique pieces, but those definitely exceeded my price range. I fell in love with this hand hammered recycled aluminum plate of the "Tree of Life." Pretty folksy don't you think?

5 comments:

Blasphemous Homemaker said...

I like it!

Henny said...

ahh! I forgot all about that festival! we were gonna go there... shoot!

oh well. it's for the best - we were really quite tired and needed to rest. newborn days are SO tiring aren't they?

btw we're about 20mins from kutztown

April Cobb said...

That is fabulsou. I love the shouting match. What a riot!! Literally. I am glad you are soaking up the atmosphere there.

Tiana said...

I love your souvenir. It's awesome. Wish we lived closer to go with you!

Lauren said...

ROFL, ahhh, Pennsylvania. My favorite comment was about Mom being the only person not in a bad mood. So true.

These posts make me SO excited to see you guys soon!