Sunday, February 1, 2009

I think I am in love!


With David McCullough! Yes he is 75, and no I haven't read any of his books (yet), but oh my goodness, he is a such a sweet old man! I got HBO's John Adams for Christmas this past year and I finally got around to watching the extras which included a little documentary about him. I think I giggled my girlish heart out the entire time and then I kicked myself when I remembered that I had the opportunity to meet him in person my senior year at BYU and passed it up for a nap! Stupid, stupid stupid!
Since I am now star-struck by a man whose books I have never read I figured it was time I got down to reading them and then I thought, why not make a list of all the books I should read this year? Without further ado, my reading list for 2009:
  • Fire of the Covenant, Gerald Lund
  • Daniel Deronda, George Eliot
  • Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy
  • Paradise Lost, Milton
  • John Adams & 1776, David McCullough
  • Founding Mothers, Cokie Roberts
  • Three Cups of Tea, Greg Mortensen
  • The Egg and I, Betty MacDonald
  • The House of the Seven Gables, Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • Anything of John Steinbeck's that I haven't read

This list seems pretty paltry and probably won't keep me occupied for more than a few months. Any suggestions? I am up for anything, particularly books that are Classics. Warning: I do not like LDS fiction.

5 comments:

Joy said...

I love Anna Karenina! My favorite author is Garcia Marquez, he wrote 100 Years of Solitude. I also like Isabel Allende. They are both Latin writers and their books are amazing works of art!

DP said...

I also like The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough. Did you know he grew up around Pittsburgh?

Anonymous said...

Old people are ridiculously cute.

Amanda said...

Are you on GoodReads? That's where I keep my list of books. Before I go to the library, I see what on my list I'm currently in the mood for and then go check it out.

In addition to what you have on there, I HIGHLY recommend any books by Lisa Wingate. Well, I haven't read them all, but I LOVE the ones I've read. Start with "Tending Roses," then "Good Hope Road," and if you like those, let me know and I'll give you a list of more from her. You've also got to read the other 2 Betty MacDonald books--"Anyone Can Do Anything" and...I'm drawing a blank on the other one. (Darn pregnancy brain!)

Check out my list of books I've read on GoodReads, too. It's linked to my facebook page. And, I usually rate and leave comments about what I've read. I'm not huge on LDS lit, either. So, no worries there. :)

Lindsay said...

I love David McCullough, too. "1776" is fantastic, and if you want to tack another of his onto your list, try "The Great Bridge." It's the story of the building of the Brooklyn Bridge and it's absolutely riveting.