Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Garden in May

Do you remember what my garden looked like a month ago? Isn't it amazing what one month can do? My broccoli is gigantic, though sadly, one of them died of some kind of wilt. We have been enjoying lettuce and peas and soon we will have beet greens! The summer crops have all gone in, though I definitely want to add a few more peppers, but I will buy those already grown and plant them in the next week or so.

Look in the foreground of the pictures and you can see what look like weeds but are actually strawberry plants! I planted 18 Everbearing strawberry plants and if I am lucky I will get a small harvest in September.

I have two tomato plants in the front garden beds, two in pots in the back and three still under the lights in the basement! Canning tomatoes this year will be a stupendous endeavor!


I decided to plant some marigolds because they are pretty AND they deter pests. So far so good. Here are some things that I have learned recently:
  •  Plant WAY more peas! I only planted 3 seeds to begin with and this variety really likes to be close with other pea plants and produces better when it is; plus I didn't plant enough for our enjoyment. These peas are very sweet and wonderful tasting right out of the shell.
  • Mulch, mulch, mulch! Right after I plant seeds I really need to mulch next time. The sun just baked my carrot, spinach and scallion seedlings despite diligent watering. I only have 4 carrots, 3 scallions and 5 spinach plants from the initial 20 or so seeds I sowed for each variety!
  • Plan on planting garlic rather than planting it as an after-thought after some cloves sprouted in my pantry. They need to be planted earlier. I have two that are going strong, though, so I should at least make up for that.
I love my garden and so does Andrew. Despite the work that it entails Andrew and I really enjoy working in the garden together. Oh! I checked on my composting worms today and they are doing great! I found tons of cocoons and they seem quite happy. I am glad that they are so easy to take care of!

3 comments:

Brittany Hall said...

I'm glad that your garden is doing so well! It's such a learning experience, and each year you can plan how to do it better the next year.

Campbell Family said...

this whole gardening thing is so fun!! It's fun to see what you're planting and how everything is going. I JUST got my garden in,, so we'll see how it goes!!

Blasphemous Homemaker said...

Usually it's not the sun that does it. If you're like me, you might not have taken the two weeks to harden seedlings off before setting them out. I only gave my peppers a few days of outside time before transferring them completely and they both died. I was too impatient!