Thursday, January 21, 2010

Planning my Garden


This is my amazing garden plan that I have to submit to my HOA before I can start because I need to relocate three rhododendron shrubs and that requires HOA approval. Boo. You might also notice that Ravenna had a part in the planning process with the squiggly pencil drawings. Unfortunately her additions did not make it into the final plan being submitted for approval.

I have a 14X12 space to work with in front of my house so I am doing raised beds, made of wood (hopefully salvaged/re-purposed from the Habit for Humanity Re-Store), painted white to match the siding. I am planning on following Mel Bartholomew's method of Square Foot Gardening to get the most out of my small space. The area surrounding the beds will be filled with black mulch, just in case you were curious, and there is an existing boxwood shrub that I will leave in place.

Now, to the good part: What am I am planting? So far I have ordered...
  • SPINACH * BLOOMSDALE * HEIRLOOM SEEDS 2010
  • PEA, SHELLING * TOM THUMB * HEIRLOOM SEEDS 2010
  • ONION * EVERGREEN WHITE BUNCHING * HEIRLOOM SEEDS 2010
  • LETTUCE * TANGO * HEIRLOOM SEEDS 2010
  • LETTUCE * ITALIENISCHER * HEIRLOOM SEEDS 2010
  • LETTUCE * FORELLENSCHUSS * HEIRLOOM SEEDS 2010
  • LETTUCE * AMISH DEER TONGUE * HEIRLOOM SEEDS 2009
  • GREENS * MACHE VIT * HEIRLOOM SEEDS 2010
  • CARROT * SCARLET NANTES * HEIRLOOM SEEDS 2010
  • SQUASH * BLACK BEAUTY ZUCCHINI * HEIRLOOM SEEDS 2010
  • BEET * CHIOGGIA * HEIRLOOM SEEDS 2010
  • BROCCOLI * DI CICCIO * HEIRLOOM SEEDS 2010
FOUR different kinds of lettuce?! You read that right. I made sure that all of the varieties that I ordered will do well in our area and many of the seeds are organic, though not all. All are sustainably grown heirloom seeds, and none are GMO (take THAT Monsanto!). I still have to order my tomato seeds and will probably get them from Happy Cat Organics, which is local. Does anyone know of a great paste tomato, by the way? I am really wanting to can my tomatoes and make lots of sauce. For a great cherry tomato, I recommend Sungolds. We got them at our CSA last year and they were SO SO GOOD! I will probably do 4-6 tomato plants: 2 paste, 1 cherry, and 1 slicing. Is there anything else I should grow? I can't do corn or vine plants unfortunately.

I purchased most of my seeds from Cherrygal.com. I could never figure out exactly where she was located, which kills the whole "buying local" idea but many of her heirlooms were developed right here in Lancaster county. I mainly bought from her because of time: I need to get my broccoli and tomatoes started ASAP. I couldn't depend on the Landis Valley Museum to get my seeds soon enough through mail order, even though they are pretty darn local. Maybe I will get some seeds from them next year? At least I am working on one part of my resolution!

Oh, and here is a fun tool for designing your garden: http://gardeners.com/Kitchen-Garden-Planner/kgp_home,default,pg.html?SC=RMPG2128

4 comments:

Jamie Lynn Palmer said...

What about herbs? We have basil, cilantro, mint and thyme. We use them all the time, there's nothing better than going out back and trimming your own herbs for a meal. And in terms of making tomato included items, you'll want the yummy organic basil! Ohh thing of the yumminess of a caprese salad with your own tomatoes and fresh basil!

Carrie said...

You are so right Jamie! I already have rosemary growing indoors and I am going to transplant it in the spring. I would like to do mint and basil, but my CSA probably does both of those, so I don't know how much I want to plant. Hmmm...questions to ponder!

Blasphemous Homemaker said...

I had 4 different lettuces these last two years. It makes a nice colorful salad mix.

Laura said...

I'm confused... why would you need approval for moving the shrubs? weird!

your garden looks great! I'm excited for you! I can't wait to have a garden again. I had a great one (small but great) back in MD!

also your house is HUGE!!! wow! it's really looking great! th lack f decor is understandable - it's got a lot of walls lol. mine didn't take much time b/c I don't have as much to fill haha!

we need ot get together soon. Eva is sick this week with a fever so probably next week. my brother's sister is staying here during the week so I will see what I can work out. she's helping with the kids.