Saturday, April 4, 2009

Going Green: Sewing Edition

My parents got me a sewing machine for Christmas and have been trying to put it to good use. My first project was to put new laundry tabs on Ravenna's cloth diapers, but with that done I decided to get greener and more creative. I also needed to learn how to use my machine!
These are 21 cloth wipes I made for Ravenna's little bottom. If using cloth wipes isn't green enough for you, I made them from fabric remnants I discovered in a forsaken bin at Walmart! I had some problems with zig-zagging the sides, mostly because I am impatient and did not take the time to iron the fabric or measure correctly. Consequently all of the wipes are different sizes. By the way, what do you sewing officianados do/use to cut your fabric straight? The total project cost, including thread, is under $5 for all of them, plus I still have fabric left over for my next project: a rag rug!
I know, I know, "Christmas is not for 9 months." I have heard it enough! My friend Mommy Bee inspired me to make these fabric gift bags, and they have proved be a project for learning different sewing techniques, like mitering corners. I used this site for basic instructions and then just went for it. So far I have finished three with two in the process, and more to come in all shapes and sizes. These ended up being much more time consuming than I imagined, so I kind of left off after I ran out of ribbon. My goal is to finish them by November, so I have plenty of time!

Another question for the sewing experts out there: how do you maintain your machines? How often do you oil/clean them? How do you know when you need to?

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Those look great! I'm getting inspired to sew more too, and will hopefully be doing cloth diapers soon.

(I use a rotary cutter and mat for cutting things like that.)

Amanda said...

I am certainly no sewing expert...although I have been sewing since I was about 8 years old. So, I feel like I have a little sewing experience. As far as oiling machines, etc., I have NO idea. I try to brush out the fuzz from the bobbin area when I finish a sewing project, or when I see it's getting fuzzy. As for the cutting, I have a Fiskars rotary cutter, (like a pizza wheel for cutting fabric), as well as templates and cutting mats made for cutting straight lines. I still use my fabric scissors for the pattern-intensive projects.

BTW--your projects look great. And, who cares if the wipes are different sizes? They're for wiping bums. And, as long as they're big enough to do the job, the individuals sizes are not important. :)

Natalie said...

How to get straight lines?: Two words: Rotary cutter. It's a LIFE-SAVER, seriously. The only problem is, it is a little pricy to get started, because you need a rotary cutter, a ruler, and a mat (and they're not cheap, but they are well worth it).

As for oiling?: My mom always said "once-a-month, whether you use it or not". I've tried to stick to that as much as I can, and my machine has lasted years without any hitches.

M said...

Good oiling tip Natalie, I had no idea. Very cute projects Carrie!

I also made some Christmas gift bags last year and LOvE the idea-wrapping was a snap and not as delicate to store!

What solution do you use with your wipes? Baby oil+wash+water?

Nemmer said...

Very cute! I second (third, whatever) the plug for a rotary cutter. It is the best way to cut stuff like that. :)

Great idea to get started now on Christmas gift bags. I thought about doing them last year, but didn't have time. I should see if there is any Christmas fabric on clearance anywhere, hmmm!

Brittany Hall said...

Look at you, all domestic and sewing and stuff!! Your crafts look great- I've been thinking about getting on the Christmas ball too. But I'll probably leave it until November and be crazy again. :)

Hannah S said...

First of all, cute stuff! love the bags.

Okay, yes, on all the tools mentioned earlier about cutting straight. Ask the attendants at the store for help too. I bought a clear ruler type thing--really big that sort of clips onto my mat and that has helped immensely though I still can't do it perfectly every time.

Cleaning--read the manual. Each machine is different. Mine does not allow oiling. It came w/a brush and instructions on how to open the bobbin case and clean it out. I use it a ton and dont' clean it enough. I know that when fuzz starts getting caught on the thread that its past due for a cleaning. Oh, and NEVER blow the fuzz out bcse it just blows more of the dust and fuzz up into the machine and gets it stuck in places that you can't get into.

April Cobb said...

For sure the rotary cutter with a self-healing mat and a big clear measuring ruler, which you roll the cutter up against for a straight line. You can get them at any quilting place, but it is probably best to get the stuff at JoAnn's when you get a 40% off coupon. Otherwise, Walmart. I have used mine for years. And I use the big clear ruler all of the time for making patterns. I have never oiled my machine in the 15 years I have owned it. I haven't even thought to. And I use mine more than I use any other appliance, besides my microwave. But it probably depends on the kind of machine you have.

I can't believe you made cloth wipes. They are probably more comfy for the baby, but stink-Y! Yuck-o. Thanks for taking care of the enviroment while others (like me) are ruining it for convenience. You are a star!