Saturday, January 10, 2009

Historic Rock Ford by Candlelight




On one of our adventures, my good friend Mara drove down from New Jersey and we all went to Rock Ford, a beautiful Colonial home built in 1794 by one of George Washington's Revolutionary war generals. The house is almost entirely original, which is so rare, and anyone who knows me can tell how much I love historic accuracy.





What was really fun was that historical interpreters were recreating the Twelve days of Christmas celebrations as they would have been in the 18th century. The whole house was lit solely by candles which was great for the ambiance and there was music and dancing as there would have been during the period. Needless to say, being there definitely reawakened my desire to work at a home like this some day. And if just being there was not enough, a few of the interpreters invited me to apply.




As you can see from the pictures the fog came in that day and in the evening it became so thick we could hardly see 10 feet in front of us. It made for some really great pictures of the property after dark.



7 comments:

DP said...

Wow, that sounds really cool. I can't believe I've never been there, since I live about 5 minutes away!

Amanda said...

It's beautiful! Someday, I'll get to see the East Coast...still a life goal of mine. :)

BTW--I had a word verification that I thought I'd share with you: flamente. It sounds like a descriptive word for a spicy or flamboyant person. Made me smile.

Hannah S said...

Wow! That is gorgeous! The last photo looks like the whole house is on fire. How neat to have gone there that time of year.

Anonymous said...

I love the pics. You should enter them into something...

Joseph and Tiffany said...

Wow, I would LOVE to see a house like that!

MWilde said...

Mmmmm ... I MISS YOU TWO!

Natalie said...

those are beautiful pictures! I'm glad to see you're doing well and Ravenna is growing so much!