Sunday, December 14, 2008

-11.9 F and Christmas Goodies

As I write this blog post it is -11.9 degrees Fahrenheit outside and bitterly windy. The above picture is of my breakfast dregs after I left my bowl of oatmeal in the car while we were in church this morning. We returned 3 hours later to find that the spoon and the oatmeal had frozen to the bowl. Pretty cool, I mean, cold.


For our Christmas goodies this year I decided to make Seven Layer cookies, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough truffles and Gingerbread cookies. I didn't really feel like making the Gingerbread yet, but I will probably do so this week.

Seven Layer cookies are absolutely my favorite cookies during the holidays. My mom made these when I was growing up and my grandma made them as well. I will even bet that my great grandmother made them. I noticed that they now sell kits, calling them "Magic Cookie Bars," to make these which is so silly because they are super easy.

Seven Layer Cookies
1 package of graham crackers, smashed into crumbs
1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted
12 oz. (2 cups) butterscotch morsels
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
7 oz. (1 1/3 c.) Shredded coconut
1 cup. chopped walnuts
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 13X9 pan. Mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and press evenly into the bottom of the pan. Layer the remaining ingredients, topping with the can of condensed milk. Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and cut into bars. Store covered at room temperature. Makes 2-3 dozen bars.

*The Eagle Brand Recipe says to pour the condensed milk over the crumbs and then layer the remaining ingredients over the top, pressing down firmly with a fork, but I haven't ever tried it.

One day I was watching the Food Network and I saw this truffle recipe and I wanted to make it instantly, but didn't think it would be a good idea to eat 60 some truffles on my own. They really do taste like cookie dough, but without the worry of salmonella.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate morsels
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 1/2 lbs. chocolate bark candy coating, melted

In a large bowl cream butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Add vanilla. Gradually beat in flour and add milk. Add chocolate morsels and pecans, mixing well. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place on waxed paper; chill 2 hours.

Melt chocolate bark candy coating in a double boiler. Using 2 forks, dip cookie balls into candy coating to cover. Place on waxed paper and chill to set. Store in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. *Since the dough is sticky, roll your fingers into flour.

8 comments:

TopHat said...

Magic Cookie Bars and 7 layer cookies are actually 2 different things. I have a cook book for cookies which separates them. Magic cookies bars don't have butterscotch chips, just chocolate chips.- so there's a minor minor difference. :)

We always put the Christmas M&Ms on for Christmas time.

I should try the Cookie Dough Truffles, though. Looks good.

Carrie said...

Thanks for telling me the difference. IMO, the seven layer cookies are much better because of the butterscotch morsels.

Lindsay said...

I am seriously going to make those cookie dough truffles. I've been drooling ever since you shared the link on my blog. So as soon as I can track down all the ingredients...watch out world! (Or, I guess that should be...watch out, my poor stomach.)

Also, that stinks about the cold. Indiana was like that, too. It's miserable. Here, because we're by the ocean, it's mostly temperate. But also because we're by the ocean as well as because of the wind tunnel effect created by narrow streets and tall buildings, we get horrible winds -- the kind that knock you off your feet and bring a temp of 30 degrees down to feeling more like 0. It's the worst thing about winter here. Blasted wind.

Shaunn Mattingly said...

Wow that is sure cold. I really hate the cold. Shaunn and I are thinking we need to move somewhere warm like Arizona so that we don't have to put up with the cold and snow.

DP said...

Negative Eleven???!!!

That's nuts. You guys need a vacation to sunny, warm Pennsylvania.

Jenni said...

tagged ya
:)
http://brightonwoman.blogspot.com/2008/12/six-holiday-things.html

Dejah said...

My mom used to make those 7 layer cookies too...So Good! Can you email me your new address? Mikeanddejahmorris@gmail.com

Hannah S said...

That's freezing!!! Those cookie dough cookies look and sound so yummy!!!! I may have to make them tomorrow!!! Thanks for sharing!