Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Carrie's Favorite Flicks

This is not an all inclusive list, but I was thinking about one of my favorite films tonight and it made me feel good, so I thought I would share in the hopes that some of you might enjoy these just as much:

Sunset Boulevard: A recent favorite thanks to Netflix. This film is the best of the best of Hollywood, in my opinion. It is gritty, beautiful and just plain mesmerizing. This is truly film as art, as it should be.

Across the Universe: Very original, artsy, stirring and who doesn't love the Beatles?

Pan's Labrynth: Gorgeous! I saw this edited and couldn't help but love it. Again, I love originiality in films and unforunately most of these films come out of Europe and we never get to see them. I am glad that I got to see this one!

Once: I also saw this one edited. It is such a great film, but has an issue with foul language. This film really left me feeling good about life and it had SUCH great music!

P.S. I love you: Ack! My girly heart breaks just thinking about it. A pretty original story and it really makes you want to show those you love just how much you love them. It made me appreciate life even more.

Girl with a Pearl Earring: Vermeer is one of my favorite artists, which is what attracted me to this film, however this movie is BEAUTIFUL! A lot of people I talked to said it was boring, but how could I be bored with this feast for the eyes?! The set and filming techniques in this film are SO well done and the details! Oh, the details!

Ok, there is a very short list of my favorite films, and I will probably update it again after I get thinking a bit more about it. What films do you recommend?

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Just recently I posted a lot of my favorites--including movies.

http://brightonwoman.blogspot.com/2008/07/these-are-few-of-my-favorite-things.html

I actually do periodic movie reviews of stuff i've seen recently...I've got another one in draft form waiting to be finished...it'llb e out soon. :)

Hannah S said...

Gosh, I've only seen two on your list. Thanks for the ideas!

Joseph and Tiffany said...

Here's one of my favorites: "The Ultimate Gift" It's a book too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love your new layout!

I saw P.S. I love you and was bored out of my mind. I'm glad you enjoyed it though. :)

I'm easily entertained, so I doubt any of my favorites would thrill you, but I love:

A Goofy Movie
Deep Impact
Win a Date with Tad Hamilton

And that's all I can think of.

P.S. You've read Austenland, right? I just finished it and LOVED it! So good. How did you like Breaking Dawn?

Christopher Matteson said...

Well, I'm glad that you liked Pan's, Once, and Sunset Boulevard (did we recommend that one? It's in our permanent collection here at the Matteson house.) I have to agree with your friend on P.S. I Love you...I thought it was a horrible movie (sorry). Here are a few others you should try out:

Man on Wire...it comes out on DVD in December...add it to your netflix queue, it's so good. One of my all time favorite documentaries.

The Fall. I think I mentioned this before. It's R rated because of violence, but it's odd, fantasy world violence. It's got the guy from Pushing Daisies if you like that movie.

Andy Goldsworthy - Rivers and Tides. Another documentary that puts you in a total zen state.

If you liked Sunset Boulevard here's some other recommendations:

Double Indemnity - it's great to see the absent minded professor as a murderer.

Sullivans Travels - a depression era comedy by the master Preston Sturgis with Veronica Lake.

The Lady Eve - Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwick...this one is only so so...but not bad.

And if you like snappy dialogue from old black and white screwball comedies of the silver screen, then you should see The Hudsucker Proxy. It's one of my all time favorite films.