Friday, August 29, 2008

Adventures in Eco Friendly diapering, part 2

Fuzzi Bunz

bumGenius 3.0


At the end of part 1 of my adventure I left off with a comment about how much I love cloth diapering, so here is part 2:

After doing a lot of research I decided to try two brands of cloth diapers: fuzzi bunz pocket diapers and bumGenius 3.0 one-size cloth diapers. If you are unsure what these terms mean here are some definitions courtesy of cottonbabies.com.

Pocket diaper: "A pocket diaper is usually made of two layers of fabric sewn together to form a pocket for an absorbent insert. The entire diaper fastens onto your child and does not require the additional use of a cloth diaper cover. Pocket Diaper Inserts can be made of microfiber terry, cotton terry, hemp Chinese Prefold Diapers or even a regular kitchen towel folded to size."
One-size diaper: "A one size diaper usually fits a child from birth up until about 30 or 35 pounds. This sizing is achieved by strategic placement of snaps on the front of the diaper. This allows for the front of the diaper to be folded over and for the closures to be snapped on top of each other. As the baby grows, several snap settings allow for waist and leg growth."

There are lots of different types of cloth diapers and it all depends on what you are most comfortable with. I wanted something that was easy, somewhat inexpensive and durable. I chose to use Fuzzi Bunz because my SIL uses them and I was able to find an amazing deal on them on craigslist for $7 each. Usually they go for $14-20 on Ebay, so this was not to be passed up. Fuzzi Bunz come in LOTS of different colors and patterns, which is one of the things that make cloth diapering lots of fun. The fleece lining inside the diaper is very soft and they are pretty easy to use. Now the cons: their insert is not as absorbent as I would like and we did have some leaks because of it; these diapers also come in different sizes, so they don't grow with your baby. The medium size lasts for most the time you have your baby in diapers however.

My favorite cloth diaper is the bumGenius 3.0. These are, in my opinion, the most similar to disposables and the easiest to use. They are also more economical as they will fit your baby from 7 to 35 lbs. These are trim diapers and they fit great! The Cottonbabies insert that comes with this also has the highest rating for insert absorbency. The downside to these diapers is that they only come in a few colors and the "velcro" tends to wear out quickly. Diapers that use snaps to fasten tend to be more durable and baby-proof. (edited 6/12/2009)

How much does this cost? To start, CD'ing parents say you need about 18-24 diapers. I bought 12 bumGenius ($203.40) and 4 Fuzzi Bunz ($28) and I do laundry every other day and haven't had any problems so far. I used a normal 13 gallon trash can with a lid for my diaper pail ($10) with a Whamies pail liner ($16). I also bought a wet bag for my diaper bag from a friend on Etsy ($9 w/shipping), but you technically can just use any old plastic bag. For the stink of the diaper pail, I bought Tea Tree oil ($10 for 1 fl. oz.) which I use 1 drop of per batch of diapers and this will last a LONG time and it works wonders. I wash my diapers using Purex Free & Clear detergent ($3 for 64 loads of CD's; by the way I use HALF the detergent to wash these puppies). Ok so the grand total comes to: $279.40 to get started. I will probably end up buying 6 more BG diapers because I like them so much, which is an extra $100, but I probably won't do that until Ravenna is a year old.

As for the total cost of CD'ing the Diaperpin.com has a great calculator to help you figure it out and compare to disposables. I will continue to keep posting on this adventure and please, feel free to ask any questions!

10 comments:

Jenni said...

If you can sew your own, you can save a fortune. I spent about $350 on all the materials I needed for all sizes of diaper. Also, don't necessarily count on the Ms lasting all that long...it depends on the baby, but my DS was out of Ms before his first birthday.
Also, i just started making velour inner diapers (pockets, fitteds, and AIOs). They are SO nice. I was a microfleece girl until now, but wow, I'm completely converted to velour. It's awesome! I did a couple on custom order, and have made a couple more and will be getting them listed in my shop hopefully this coming week.

BTW, thanks for the linky love. :)

Lauren C. said...

If I hadn't bought all these FBs, I would've probably gotten the BGs. I'm still trying to imagine how they snap for all sizes though. Question... do you put the tea tree oil in your diaper pail, or in the washer when you rinse them?

Carrie said...

Lauren-
Technically I put it in both. The great thing about the Whammies diaper pail liner is that it has a piece of fabric sewn to the inside where you can put the oil and not on the diapers.

Then when I go to wash the diapers I just dump the liner in with them.

Anonymous said...

Do they make Fuzzi Bunz for old people? I want to have something to look forward to...

Lauren C. said...

Dad, how 'bout for your birthday I sew you some? Eh?

So do you think it would be okay to put a drop of the oil in when I wash them?

Carrie said...

Lauren- I think that you probably could but I have never tried that. I have also heard that using a tablespoon of the original dawn in the wash is supposed to help.

Jeff-dad, see the first comment. I am sure that she can make some for you, and with velour even!

Kelly said...

I just saw BG at Target. Couldn't believe it!

Carrie said...

I know! I heard that they carry them at Target's but I have never seen them. I also have heard that they sell Nature Babycare diapers as well. Hurray for Target! I wish that we had one here :(

Sea_Gal said...

When figuring the cost, remember that the diapers are free for the next kid(s). Ahh reusable!

Anonymous said...

Wish we had so much to choose over here in Europe! A couple of my friends are looking for good eco-friendly diapers in Switzerland.