Monday, August 4, 2008

Wyoming! Whew...what a ride!

I finally have a moment and I thought that I would update everyone on how our move went: First of all, I want to thank everyone who helped us move and clean, especially Sterling, the Clements, the Hursts, Lindsay H. We could not have done it without you guys! I especially want to thank Jillynn for all of her help and support. She has been such a true friend to us!

So moving day, Wednesday, was crazy busy but we finally got done in the early evening. Thanks to Lindsey O. for letting us stay with her overnight. We departed from Wymount Thursday at 7:30 am towing our car behind us in the Uhaul. It was NOT a quiet ride, as is advertised on the truck, but overall it wasn't too bad and we even got 10! miles per gallon thanks to the mostly flat Wyoming terrain. We arrived in Gillette around 5:30 pm and stayed with my aunt Mishelle.

Early Friday morning we arrived at our apartments, signed our lease, and waited for members from the E.Q. to help us move. And we waited...and waited. Eventually we realised that nobody was coming, so the two of us got most of the stuff moved in by ourselves (nearly broke our backs doing it, I might add). After a few hours the E.Q. president called and sent over the missionaries to back us up. Thanks to the Elders we were able to get the really heavy stuff unloaded. About a half an hour after we finished a few members showed up to help. Don't worry, I was mad at first (more panicked actually) but I still have a testimony.

Aside from the unloading difficulties, the move went great. Our apartment is AMAZING! I have taken to calling it "The Palace" and I will refer to it as that from now on. We are the very first people to live in it and have a whopping 1150 sq ft. to ourselves! Our apartment is equipped with such luxuries as three bedrooms (including a master suite), two full bathrooms, central A/C, a dishwasher, and the best part: a WASHER/DRYER! Oh my goodness, I have never been so happy to have an appliance in my home! I have already done like 10 loads and I still giggle with joy every time I do. OK, you may be thinking I am crazy, but after using a laundromat for SIX years I think a little bit of craziness is understandable.

I will post some Palace pictures soon and blog about some of our adventures. Our impression so far is very good: the people are really nice and our ward is very friendly. Oh, another factoid about Gillette/Campbell County, WY: there are 2 antelope to every 1 person.

4 comments:

The Spanns said...

I am so happy to hear you made it safely and that you are loving your place!! I can't wait to see pictures!
p.s. I also laughed out loud about the antelope!

TopHat said...

I'm glad you still have a testimony Carrie! And I'm glad you moved in all right and you probably feel more settled. Best of luck in Wyoming.

Lauren C. said...

I was wondering how you guys were doing! Glad you made it there safely... didn't realize you were moving into a THREE BEDROOM apartment! How nice! You guys totally deserve it, for living in that tiny one bedroom so long. Can't wait to see the pics!

HailerStar said...

Congrats on the new apartment! I know the joy of having a washer and dryer all to yourself. *Five years of college, then marriage and doing laundry at the in-laws and the laundromat for two more years* It's such a blessing to have a machine that is yours and to toss clothes in whenever you feel like it instead of having to pack it all up and haul it all around. Sounds like your apartment is nice and spacious! *We have a three bedroom here in AZ and are just loving it. It's bigger than our tiny little rental house was*