Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010 Recap

Happy New Year! Looking at my blog posts for 2010 the major focus was definitely our family resolutions. I am pleased to say that we did very well. Keeping our resolutions certainly was an inspired goal for us because it helped us become more self-sufficient and frugal in a year that was anything but easy. As a writer I would love to be positive and uplifting like so many of the blogs that I read but I have a difficult time writing positively when things are hard. Maybe that is why I haven't written much the last half of the year?

Last night on our way home from the in-laws Andrew and I talked about the best things that happened for us in 2010. I mentioned learning to knit, improving my cooking skills, and making some new friends. For Andrew it was becoming a Seminary teacher and putting on a German language camp. For both us of the loss of our baby was definitely the most difficult thing we had to go through in addition to other unfortunate events surrounding that time that I won't go into.

Despite it all we are blessed. In some years I recognize that the trials seem to outweigh the (visible) blessings, and 2010 appears to be one of those years for us. With what little perspective I do possess I can see how our trials shaped us and pushed us in directions that we may not have gone otherwise. For example I doubt I would have taught myself to knit if I hadn't needed an activity to fill my sadness at losing my pregnancy. While knitting doesn't seem like much of anything, it has often brought me peace.

We haven't set our 2011 goals in stone yet but I know that we will continue to honor our goals for 2010 because they are working so well for us. I hope that 2011 brings everyone great peace and happiness and that you will be able to make and keep resolutions that will enrich and bless your lives and the lives of those around you.

ETA: I think Laura expressed my hopes for 2011 in this post. She always has a way of saying things that makes them especially meaningful.

2 comments:

Laura Lynn said...

How sweet Carrie, thank you.

You are right, the trials shaped you and put you in a direction that you might not have gone, and certainly didn't want to go. But you also found that you are incredibly strong and have the fortitude and ability to get through. You are inspiring - don't forget that.

Jenn said...

Way to go on your goals for 2010! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. They get me thinking about some of the things I want to do in my life and my family. May 2011 pour blessings on you and your family!