Saturday, August 14, 2010

Empty

Today my kind father-in-law brought us a tree; a weeping fig. It has shiny, abundant, beautiful leaves and it now sits in a corner of our living room only a few feet from where, at 2:00 this afternoon with the support of my husband and midwife, I gave birth to a baby that I will never know.

We purposely didn't tell many people of our pregnancy because for us these experiences are private and sacred. I had just passed the first trimester mark and we were beginning to get excited about the prospect of all the joys the next months would bring. Now we are struggling to come to grips with this loss and understand how this fits into God's plan for us.

Despite the pain, physical and emotional, I am grateful that I was able to give birth in the privacy of my home, naturally. I am grateful that God loves us enough to have given me and Andrew spiritual insight about this pregnancy so that we could be prepared when it did not turn out as we had wished. I am grateful for Christie and Derek who rushed over in the middle of the night to give me a priesthood blessing and be with our daughter while we went to the emergency room. I am grateful for Jenni for being so honest about her experiences and helping me to know what to expect with a missed miscarriage. I am so very grateful for Jillynn for calling me as soon as she found out and crying with me. I am so very grateful for a husband who stayed up with me as I labored in the early morning hours and supported me when the pain became too great and I became discouraged. I am grateful for my kind and sensitive midwife, Mary, who came to be with us and help us through the final stages. Lastly, I am grateful for the many prayers prayed on our behalf.

If this is hard for you to understand or you don't know what you could do or say that could possibly help, Jenni blogged about this based on her own experiences. Perhaps reading her post might help you in the future if you are ever in the position to help someone who has miscarried.

16 comments:

Christie said...

We're so happy that we could help out in such a small way. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need anything else. Just 10 more days and I'll be back by your side. Stay strong and keep up the faith.

Anonymous said...

Much love and condolences to you!
Joy

Jenni said...

((((hugs)))) I'm glad I was able to help, and I'm sorry I couldn't do more. It's hard being 5000 miles away.

Brittany Hall said...

Oh Carrie, I'm so sorry. What a terrible loss.

Natalie said...

Carrie. I am so sorry. Please remember that many more are praying for you now.

Amanda said...

I love you--and I am so sorry for your loss. May you continue to feel love and comfort. Especially from your Heavenly Father.

S.N.D said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I just want you to know that the Lord is in mindful of you and you're in our prayers. I too had the same experience a missed miscarriage.And it was painful.And yes I felt so empty.But there's a light at the end of the tunnel. And we may not know the reason why this happens to you and your family.But it's in the Lord's wisdom. I would like to share this link to you http://nateandsamtaylor.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html

Those were my thoughts and feelings during those trying moments of my life.

I love you Carrie.Take care

Tricia said...

Carrie and Andrew,
I'm so sorry and want you to know that we love you and you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Campbell Family said...

What sad news, but you put it beauitfully. Thank you for your testimony. I'll continue to keep you in my prayers.

Laura Lynn said...

Oh Carrie,

I'm so sorry for this. I hope that you are resting.
I know exactly how you feel. I went through two miscarriages. One was at 12 weeks and another at 18 weeks.

You'll be in my prayers. Just know The Lord is mindful of you.
If you ever need to talk, I'm here.

Mary said...

I'm so sorry. I cannot imagine the pain, but I am inspired by your faith and testimony.

Lindsay said...

I'm so sorry, Carrie. You are in my thoughts!

Jenn said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, but am happy you are surrounded by so many wonderful friends and have such a strong testimony. Please remember the Lord loves you and is mindful of your pain. Hugs to you.

The Hettinger Homestead said...

What a wonderful testimony you have! I am strengthened by your strength. We love you and your family (even though I haven't met you in person yet). Thank you for sharing about your experience.

Kelly said...

Love you Carrie.

Breinholt Family said...

I love you Carrie!