Wednesday, March 3, 2010

How Old is This Coat?

Today's thrift store find was this gorgeous coat. The collar is REAL rabbit fur and I am guessing the coat is wool or a blend, though I don't know how to tell the difference (how can I tell?). The lining is synthetic. There is a lot of hand stitching on this coat and maybe the lining was replaced at some point. Weird, I just noticed that the lining left a powder on my hands. Ick. Instead of buttons it has 3 toggles which might be made of some kind of plastic, possibly bakelite?

This coat was made right here in Lancaster county. I contacted my friend Richard, who has lived in Lancaster since the 1960's and he said that he remembers there being an upscale woman's clothing store called Logan's but he can't remember when it disappeared.

So what do you think? I am debating between either 1950's or 70's.

7 comments:

Mary said...

I'd put money on the 70's. And the third picture add some photoshop touches to rid the camera in your hands and you could be a Vogue model.

Carrie said...

Yup, I am betting more on the late 60's early 70's now that I have seen a lot more patterns. It seems to be a fusion coat since it doesn't really fit with the fashion of either era REALLY well.

Dejah said...

Wow, that looks great on you. I love that last picture of you in it. What a fun find!

Lafianza.doula said...

honestly I would have said 40s possibly 50s.

it's a great find. My grandmother left me a coat similar in black but my allergies wont let me wear it. plus, it's HEAVY! as init weighs more than my child lol.

Julia Holiday said...

I have no idea what era but it's gorgeous! I'm jealous. It fits you perfectly. Hopefully it will keep you warm too. Aren't thrift stores the best?

Hannah S said...

I would say closer to 50's but I didn't take costuming while at BYU.

You deliberately didnt' allow comments for the previous posts....how have you been since we last "spoke" ?

Mediocrity....I think you ARE good at many things Carrie, and I don't know you that well in person. lol. You are economical, frugal, you care about the environment and you care enough about your health and the health of your family, just to name a few....

Laura Lynn said...

I found your blog through Mary and hey, here is the coat you were telling us aboutl. I'd say late
60's, early 70's maybe. It's super cool. I have been having a great old time thrift shopping lately!