Thursday, December 17, 2009

F-E-A-R


If you haven't noticed yet, on the right side of my blog I have a list of my favorite links. Ahhh...the linky drugs. When I am feeling down in the dumps, I go read Soule Mama's blog and it makes me wish I knew how to knit, but then I feel glad because I would probably waste a lot of money on yarn that wouldn't amount to much, but I digress. When I feel the need for crafty distraction I head on over to Amy Carol's blog Angry Chicken. This woman has the best blog links! Seriously! Today I discovered this gem from the Angry Chicken which is the inspiration of this post.

Elaine, the lovely Selfish Seamstress has the ability to make beautiful, fashionable clothes BY HERSELF! With a SEWING MACHINE no less! How does she do this? From reading her blog I am getting the drift that aside from possessing magic abilities, she can sew beautiful things because she does it primarily for herself. What a concept!

I am afraid of my sewing machine. Every time I feel inspired to tackle a project I hear the voice of my sewing machine in my head saying: "you will fail you silly girl, so just leave me in my nice box and nobody gets hurt." Sometimes I fight that voice, usually to sew for someone else, and pull out the little "darling" and have an ugly contest of wills. Eventually, with dreams of sewing perfection shattered, I give up and settle for mediocrity. But, today I had an epiphany! The reason I can't sew is BECAUSE I only sew for other people! I can't say that I have ever made anything for myself.

And now, the resolution. Early though it is, my resolution for 2010 is to learn to sew with some degree of confidence and sew something lovely for myself! I expect my dear friends to hold me to this, particularly those of you who can sew.

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Alrighty then. I'll hold you to it. :D
Any thoughts on what you want to make? I will warn you that anything to wear on your upper half is probably not a good first project...breasts can make fitting difficult (well, they always do for me anyway...I guess not everybody has cups that runneth over huh?).
Jammy pants are simple, easy, fast, fun... Skirts are typically pretty easy, though I'd avoid zippers until you've sewn a few things. Try something with elastic or a wrap-around style.

Blasphemous Homemaker said...

I have a love hate relationship with m y sewing machine. It reminds me of my many weaknesses each time I use it!

Natalie said...

Your sewing machine will be your best friend! I love mine so much, in fact, I call her Elna (that's the brand name). Elna and I love spending time together! Good luck and I hope you find as good of friend as I have! :)

Hannah S said...

I still get mad at my machine when it stabs me w/a needle, makes funny sounds, or the thread come out of the needle. I am still a novice but I take it a step at a time. I know my limits. I cannot follow patterns well yet and so I don't attempt to sew my own clothing. But starting w/simple projects, like you have already done, gets you going. Make stuff for Ravenna, she'll never know you messed up. And then you'll get better and gain more confidence. I bet, w/your determination, we'll all have to watch out, and you'll be modeling homemade clothes in the next year or two :) And then I will be jealous and have to start my own mission to sew clothing :)

M said...

How ironic, I came here specifically to ask how your cloth Christmas wrappings worked out this year...The few I made and used were so Breezy to wrap, Beautiful under the tree,and Pleasing to the tree-hugger in me that I was pleasantly surprised...
But those still probably count as things for someone else...
A sewing project for yourself? Since everyone else is suggesting-how about a book cover-I reccomend cordouroy for you, and a closer dictionary for me.