Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Blessings


While reading Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food I came upon this quote that I think especially applies to us Latter-day Saints as we pray over our food.

To eat slowly, then, also means to eat deliberately, in the original sense of that word: 'from freedom' instead of compulsion. Many food cultures, particularly those at less of a remove from the land than ours, have rituals to encourage this sort of eating, such as offering a blessing over the food or saying grace before the meal. The point, it seems to me, is to make sure that we don't eat thoughtlessly or hurriedly, and that knowledge and gratitude will inflect our pleasure at the table.


How often do we forget the promised blessings that come from being fully obedient to the Word of Wisdom? How often do we forget to be grateful?

18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;

19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;

20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.

21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen. Doctrine and Covenants 89: 18-21

4 comments:

Brittany Hall said...

Hmm- good reminder. Eating slowly does help us remember to be grateful for our food. And for yummy new recipes. :) Brooklyn must be reeeally thankful for her food, since she takes an hour for each meal.

April Cobb said...

I totally believe this. I insist on sitting down to enjoy each meal, which is part of taking the time to recognize the food I am eating. I try to get my kids to do this too. It is such a battle. But it will pay off. We want them so badly to have a healthy relationship with food.

January said...

Great Post! I think we should be more mindful of the WofW!

Thanks for linking to my blog BTW. :-)

Harshes said...

Can I send you an invite to my family blog? Have I? I'm going to link you on there if that's ok! :-)

Tiana told me what you said today. I cried when telling my hubby. It really meant a lot to me. Thanks mama!