Friday, September 17, 2010

A Full Freezer!

What you can see: Stock, peaches, and dehydrated milk.

Finally! After a year of waiting we got our 1/4 of a pasture-fed steer! Huzzah! I was unreasonably excited as we pulled into the farm to pick up our meat. How much would we get? What cuts? Even though it sounds silly, it felt like getting a huge frozen Christmas present in all these little vacuum packed bags. Now our freezer is nearly full! In the next few weeks I will be buying five more whole chickens to cut up and divide into parts.

For $430 we got a 1/4 of a steer. You pay by the hanging weight, so before it was dry aged it weighed 130lbs and we paid $3.30/lb. After cutting and packaging we got about 79 lbs. of meat which is 61% of the hanging weight. After all is said and done we paid $5.44/lb.

46 lbs. of Ground Beef

Out of that we got 44 lbs. of ground beef, 2 boneless should roasts (5.5 lbs), 2 sirloin steaks (3lbs.), 2 shin bones with meat attached (4 lb), 1 eye of round roast (1.7 lbs), 3 chuck roasts (8.7 lbs.), 3 Delmonico steaks (3 lbs), 2 boneless rump roasts (4 lbs), 6 t-bone steaks (3.2 lbs), and 1 porterhouse steak (1.6 lbs). We have 6 lbs. of ground beef left from last year as well as one 2.5 lb. beef top round roast. I bought that last roast retail for I believe $7/lb. so I am quite happy with all we were able to get.  I think I will do a price comparison based on the average retail price for these cuts of meat vs. pasture fed and see if we got a good deal. 


Our freezer also contains 7 whole chickens, 1.5 lb. boneless pork chops, 1 lb. nitrate free bacon, 6 lbs. of boneless skinless chicken breasts, 6 jars of veggie stock, 2 jars of frozen soup, 2 gallon bags of frozen peaches, 2 loaves of bread, 1 3lb. bag of almond flour, and 1 can of powdered milk. Looking at that inventory I think I need to buy more bacon, don't you?
 

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Definitely. Everyone needs more bacon. Even vegetarians, they just don't know it. ;)
(A couple of weeks ago we made a pizza that was mostly veggies, but then we sprinkled some bacon on too...we called it a 'better vegetarian pizza' LOL!

Laura Lynn said...

Great for you! Do you have a power generator? If not, you might want to get one for the freezer. I have never lived anywhere with so many power outages before. It always seems like the other side of E-town and in to Mount Joy are always out one time or another in Winter.

Carrie said...

We don't have a generator, but we would love to get one. I have read that as long as you don't open the freezer the food will stay frozen for at least 24 hours, especially in a cold basement. It would be fantastic if we could get a generator!

Laura said...

I remember when Eli was a baby... he just nibbled on whatever I wast eating. I think we spent 40$ a week on the 3 of us. ahhh those were the days! lol I LOVE seeing a freezer full of food!!! I just can't seem to keep it full anymore, I think people eat in this house 3 times faster than I can cook!

April Cobb said...

I feel like I spent the whole summer freezing stuff. It is outrageous how much time it takes to peel and chop up those peaches, doesn't it? I felt like I had a side job stocking my freezer. Hats off to you! You are doing a lovely job. I haven't stock piled meat yet, but I am not much of a meat eater. maybe that is why.