Monday, September 13, 2010

2010 Resolution Update: 4 months left!

The Gigantic Beet!

Here is our update on our resolutions to let you know that we have not forgotten!
  • 1) No longer shop at Big Box retailers unless absolutely necessary: We have done pretty well on this. Andrew has needed to buy clothes at JC Penney because he has not been able to find clothing that fit his needs at thrift and consignment stores. We went into a K-Mart to buy some mattress pads because I feel weird about buying someone's soiled mattress pads.
  • 2) Strive to buy only US made goods and if we cannot, buy fair-trade items: Buying locally really helps and we are lucky to have many farmer's markets, local tradesmen around here. Unfortunately, aside from food, we haven't really had the opportunity to buy anything new.
  • 3) Buy as many used/handmade items as possible: We are doing awesome at this. It has become a habit to look first at thrift/consignment stores before we even think about buying something new. We often go "treasure hunting" as a family once a week.
  • 4) Support our borough by attending borough events: We haven't attended any events for a few months because of my pregnancy sickness and later miscarriage putting me out of commission for most of the summer but with Fall quickly approaching I am gearing up to get involved again.
  • 5) Grow a small garden and frequent local farmer's markets: Small garden did just O.K. this year but with the weird weather I am not surprised. I learned a lot and next year I will plant VERY differently. We haven't been going to farmer's markets as frequently as I like, but I go to an Amish farm and a locally owned and operated grocery store for most of my produce. Our meat comes from local farmers in bulk so we don't spend much time/money in larger grocery stores.
  • 6) Eat-out only at locally owned restaurants: Uhhhh, we haven't done great at this one, mainly because I hate Amish food and had weird cravings all summer.
  • 7) Become involved in a community group: No luck on this one either due to my summer being indisposed. I am still looking for something to be involved in.
For the next four months we have the challenge of preparing for Christmas which will focus on handmade/thrifted items and I am anticipating that will be rather difficult. Ravenna's gifts this year are covered as I collected things gradually while thrifting. 

3 comments:

Laura said...

I hate amish food too hehe

I think it's all the carbs and lack of color and spice. I can only take so much mashed potatoes, sausage and boiled veggies. ugh!

bring on the indian cuisine! gimme some collard greens! anything with flavour!

Laura Lynn said...

Good job, those are all good things! We're pretty much the same way. I've always considered myself a localvore.

And never buy any bedding or mattresses second hand. You never know about bed bugs.
We hate big box retailers too but occasionally have to go there, especially with such a large family and needing to watch the budget. But for the most part, we stay away.

Dejah said...

I can't believe how much Ravenna has changed, but she looks like she like's beets as much as I do! Such a beautiful girl!
You have done a great job with your resolutions, I like the one about joining a community group. I think I will try something like that too.