Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Baby update

For the curious...I am still pregnant and yes, I have passed my due date, almost a week ago actually. Quelle horreur! At this point you may feel the need/desire to suggest ways for me to induce my labor but please don't bother; I have already tried everything (aside from Castor oil, which I will NOT try).

You might wonder when I am going to be induced then...well I don't want to be artificially induced which is just one more reason why I am birthing with a midwife practice. They will not just induce someone because they have passed their due date and they won't strip membranes either unless the cervix is favorable. Yes, I do want to have this baby, sooner rather than later, and I am hiding in my apartment to avoid having to answer these questions to every single person I see.

On a happier note, I just finished reading The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale and LOVED it! Thank you, Lindsey O. who has been supplying me with good reads during my confinement. The Goose Girl was my favorite fairy tale as a child and I think Shannon Hale did a great job turning it into a novel. I highly recommend it. I also really loved Austenland, by Hale, and I think that she is now my favorite authoress. I wonder how many more books I can get through before this baby decides to arrive? Maybe I will just have to read Pride and Prejudice again?

I also want to publicly thank the Relief Society Presidency for bringing me chocolate cake today, despite my refusal to see anyone or go anywhere. It was delicious and just what I needed to cheer me up. I am sure the baby enjoyed it as well given the gratuitous dose of heartburn I received after eating it, but that is what Tums are for and the cake was well worth it. So, hurray for cake, good novels, and thoughtful friends!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I've been thinking of you.

Joseph and Tiffany said...

I'm glad you're not trying castor oil!! Thanks for letting us curious people know...I'll check up again in a few days...

Anonymous said...

Aren't Tums supposed to induce labor?

HailerStar said...

Just wanted to say I absolutely love how you're going about your birthing process. Having read extensively on the subject I totally agree with waiting until your body is ready to go into labor rather than forcing it with pitocin. It's really awesome that you're using a midwife. I applaud you.
You're in my thoughts.
H.

Amanda said...

Hang in there! I can't empathize because I've never been where you are. But, I definitely feel for you!

OK--so after The Goose Girl, you must read Enna Burning (about Enna) and then you must read River Secrets (about Razo). I've read the first 2 and just started the last one. I definitely love Shannon Hale's writing--I can't wait to read more of her books!

And if you ever want to get out of your house, but still avoid the questions--come over! :) I'm here all day every day. Or--I'd be happy to go on a walk with you or whatever. Just let me know!

Brittany Hall said...

Your baby will come out eventually, even though it doesn't seem like it! If you pass the 10-day mark(how many days I was overdue, remember), I'll throw you a party or something. :) Thinking about you!

Lauren C. said...

I am SO glad you aren't doing castor oil. I love you for that.

M said...

Glad you liked the cake... Oreos are good substitutes for brownies on a bad day. I have found that an 8:1 ratio works wonders...on the sweet note; I have been known to bring over "Guaranteed to make you go into labor blondies" they worked for Brittnay (the second time)--you just say the word...R