Sunday, March 23, 2008

My Pet Peeves...and a little forgiveness

I realize that I just wrote a post not too long ago about the importance of being positive, but gosh darn it people bug me sometimes! Here is a list of little things that have been bugging me BIG time during the last few weeks:

1) People who let their toddlers run around your house with stinky diapers for hours because "they can't smell them." This goes for anyone anywhere who has mysteriously become immune to the smell of their child's feces or because of laziness just don't feel like changing the nastiness. I pray that I will never become a member of that club.

2) Have you ever had a really good idea, or so you thought, and decided to share it at a dinner conversation only to be shot down before you had even finished your sentence? Arggg! Granted, the idea may not have been great, but be polite enough to let me finish! I have found that there are people who are perpetual idea killers...have you met anyone like that? Or, gasp! Are you one of those?

3) When people very literally make themselves at home in your home, without being invited to do so. This weirds me out more than anything. I think that this level of familiarity takes a long while to cultivate, but maybe I am just weird. I still always ask if I can have a drink of water or use someones bathroom, raid cupboards/refrigerator, look through personal items etc. Children tend to be exempt from this rule in my opinion, but definitely not adults.

4) Wymounters are notorious for this one: Calling before 9 AM or after 9 PM, you KNOW who you are! My momma raised me to know better than that! I believe that the only time anyone should ever call later or earlier than that is with family. I still get pretty nervous whenever the phone rings during those hours. So, if you call our house between those hours and we don't pick up the phone, yes, we have caller ID and are ignoring you. We hope you learn your lesson.

5) This may just be greedy, but I hate it when I ask parents to not let their children play with something in my home, even if it is a child's toy, and then they let them do it anyway! I have toys set aside for their kids to play with which may not be as cool or entertaining as the things their child has found, but if I don't want them to play with them, that is my prerogative.

6) Last of all if I don't want to talk about something, such as the never ending topic of my pregnancy, I won't indulge the topic. Get the hint! Maybe I am bizarre but I don't actually enjoy talking about all the in's and out's of being pregnant and having children ALL THE TIME. I also don't want to hear all your childbirth/parenting horror stories or about how smart/good looking your child is. I have a brain! I can talk of other things! For example: the current book I am reading, or the political race which I am interested in. What about science? Perhaps we can talk about a favorite restaurant or a good movie we have seen lately? See, there are lots of other things to talk about!

Ok, that is the last of my ranting and on this Easter Sunday, which I really should be thinking about Christ's atonement rather than raving about every one's faults, I leave on a note of forgiveness. If you find that you may have been guilty of any of these things, whether to me or others, just know that I don't hold these things against you and will try to be more forgiving of your imperfections and love you more for the wonderful person you are. I am also going to forgive myself because I know that I am most certainly not perfect and anyone who reads this can probably write their own blog entry about how annoying I am. I will, however, strive to be better and more conscious of what I do/say to others. Happy Easter!

7 comments:

Brittany Hall said...

Wow, Carrie. I guess you have some extra time for venting on your hands since you're not working anymore. (Right? I thought last week was your last.)Sorry if I've done any of those things!! (And amen to a lot of them!:)

Amanda said...

I actually have to laugh a little bit--not at your pet peeves. But, my first question when reading this post wasn't "Why is she writing this on Easter Sunday?" but, "What in the world happened to get all these pet peeves out at once?" I hope whatever it was doesn't repeat itself often. :) I missed seeing you at church--I hope you're feeling well!

Carrie said...

Yeah, I definitely needed to vent, and almost purely for non-Wymount reasons (aside from the calling after 9pm and the interruptors). We had some house guests that really set me off, but that could just be my pregnancy, which I don't want to talk about anymore. ;)

HailerStar said...

Responses:
1. Ew. Ew and just plain Gross. *Though I have heard a sis-in-law say that sometimes she doesn't snag her kid for about ten minutes cuz they aren't done pooping yet* Ew. Unsanitary.
2. I hate it when people shoot you down outright or interrupt with not just a sentence but a long diatribe/tangent of their own when you're trying to keep track and share your thoughts on something specific.
3. This one made me laugh and cringe. I still ask my own mother if I can get a glass of water at her house, which used to be my house. But I've always been weird like that. I get really annoyed with people that kick back in my house when I don't offer. One of our friends children had a bad habit of walking into my house and opening the fridge looking for food/drinks. It's like "excuse you, you can ask, I'm not your chef and this is not your house, thank you very much!"
4. Phone Calls: we get telemarketers that do that. I've had family tragedies in the past three years and my heart stops beating when the phone rings and it's before eight in the morning or after nine at night. Some idiot called us at five in the morning the other day and I swear I thought someone had died. (you're not the only one who screens your calls!)
5. It's not greedy of you to want to keep your stuff unbroken or unstickyfied. Not greedy at all. To phrase my dad "just because it's breakable and in my living room doesn't give you the right to break it". Maybe I agree with you because I have cute toys and things that I love that are MINE. I don't want lil midgets breaking or stealing them. (We just did a babysitting stint with our niece and nephew...the latter of which was in an area he wasn't supposed to be in, that was cluttered, and poking around my christmas boxes, managed to knock them over, and shatter some glass ornaments). *le sigh* Oddly enough, my sis in law said my husband shouldn't have left his shoes in the middle of the floor (in our own house? In a non child-friendly area? *Pet Peeve* (parents who blame their child's breakage of your stuff on you).
6. I can understand that you are more than your pregnant belly. Life is, of course, a miracle, but you're a multifaceted person and should be treated as such.
Sorry for the return list of semi-rant. I agreed with a lot of what you had to say.

Lauren C. said...

OK, so I know I'm guilty of making myself too at home at your home. My apologies. And I will also admit that I'll let my child run around with a poop in his diaper if I know he's not done pooping (this instance is rare and I won't let him go more than 20 minutes or so). I don't care if it's unsanitary (which I don't really think it is) because it is NO FUN to change a poopie diaper only to have your child poop again right away in the new one. It's a major waste of a diaper.
Either way, vent away! I love reading about people's pet peeves.

Anonymous said...

I have to confess that I have let my children do whatever they want in your house.

I'll try to keep my little boy Andrew restrained the next time I'm there.

Anonymous said...

Carrie, Carrie, Carrie...you are in labor right now..or could be delivering the baby at this ery second! (I am eagerly awaiting the call from mom!) But I just wanted to tell you that your rantings and ravings amuse me. And well, you sounded a bit bitchy in this! haha But!!! You are being honest! So which is worst? Saying the truth and being bitchy sounding, or keeping it all inside and let the things happen and then explode once you've had enough?! ;)
I love you Carrie. And OH MY!!! I am so excited and nervous and worried and thrilled at the same time for you right now!!!