Friday, February 15, 2008

And for my first post: Just another reason why Walmart is going to Hell

What does one write on a blog... well I want to write about stuff I am passionate about and since I have been pregnant that happens to be saving the world, one green step at a time. So in one of these small steps Andrew and I decided to buy reusable grocery bags. I was inspired by an article I read about Ireland and how much less pollution they have thanks to a national "bag tax" which makes the free plastic grocery bags that we take for granted very not free in Ireland. So basically everyone in Ireland now has their own reusable grocery bags and everyone is happy. For more on this: http://www.reusablebags.com/facts.php?id=20

Now to why Walmart is going to Hell. Shopping at Walmart is already an irritating experience but it always drove me nuts how they would just give you a ton of plastic bags because the cashiers are not well trained in bagging groceries. Such waste! Well, today we tried out our handy bags and met with a near disaster. The cashier was VERY unwilling to accomodate us even though we bagged our own groceries! What on earth?! Basically she rung up our groceries so fast she made it impossible for us to bag the groceries so we ended up just throwing everything back into the cart and bagging it when we got to the car. Apparently we are not the only people Walmarts employees have done this to as other reusable baggers have told us. So why the rudeness? Does Walmart train its employees to shun the reusable bagger? Well, in any case I believe we shall keep trying to be reusable baggers at Walmart until we have the money to shun Walmart entirely. I look forward to that day.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Walmart is an annoying venture (especially on Saturdays), but you really can't beat the prices (at least we can't as poor students).

Here is a link for making your blog unique - hope you find it helpful.

http://sjhblogdesign.blogspot.com

Britt-Marie said...

That's so cool that you are doing the reusable bags. I think pretty much everywhere in Europe they charge for the bags, even Ikea here in the states does that now (they donate the money from it to planting trees or something). As for us at this point we just get the plastic bags and use them for our trash liners instead of buying others so I have yet to be able to convert over.

Hannah S said...

Great idea! I love those gdiapers too. If I could afford them I would definitely invest in them.

Anonymous said...

Mike and I shopped at Super Target for a while when we lived closer to it and found that it was comparable to, if not cheaper than, Walmart. The quality of their stuff is a lot better too.

Anonymous said...

If all the reusable baggers complained to WalMart, they would certainly be a bit nicer about it. btw, I love your blog! Another way to keep up with you two.

Nettie

Amanda said...

I do have to say, I miss the "buy once and use over and over again" plastic bags from my mission. I was telling Jillyn the other day that I'm double hurting the environment--not only do we accept the millions of plastic bags, we use them to contain and throw away our disposable diapers! (We do recycle our newspaper, though.) :)

Alyson Turley said...

Seriously, Wal-Mart is the devil. And I'm glad to see you've entered the blogosphere. Welcome.