Thursday, October 1, 2009

My First Quilt!

Here it is! I made my very first quilt and though it looks lopsided in the picture, I promise that it is surprisingly symmetrical. Being the scaredy-cat that I am, I chose to do a simple baby blanket from Amy Karol's book Bend-the-Rules Sewing and was surprised how easy it actually was to make.
Perhaps it isn't a true "quilt" but I did do some machine quilting on it. It turned out much smaller than I had originally planned, mainly this is because I CANNOT cut fabric. Months ago I asked people for advice on how to best cut fabric and the answers that I got were: rotary cutter and mat. Well I have both of those and still managed to fail this one. Ugh...I could go on and on about my frustrations about measuring and cutting fabric but perhaps someday I will be able to figure it out.

One of the great pieces of advice that Amy gave for this project is to not pre-wash the fabric because machine quilting often causes puckers. Washing it after sewing disguises these and gives it a really neat shabby-chic look which is very cute. A general review of this book is &&&/5 because this isn't really a book that I would recommend to someone who actually knows how to sew. I am guessing that a lot of the projects an experienced seamstress could just look at and know exactly how to make. Karol does have some great advice thrown in throughout the book and I do think this a great book for beginners. If you are interested definitely check with your library first.

Now I just have to give this little baby girl blankie away...but to whom, I am not telling. ;)

11 comments:

Henny said...

it looks awesome! I am way impressed. if you ever get to making thows for the backs of couches, let me know ;) I'm in the market for one! (well I'm poor right now, but I'm always up for trades LOL)

Blasphemous Homemaker said...

What pretty fabric!

Dejah said...

That's very pretty! That looks harder to make though, especially the details on the edges. I'm impressed.

Jenni said...

That is so funny about the prewashing...I wouldn't dream of cutting a piece of fabric that I hadn't prewashed. LOL!!!

Lauren said...

It looks awesome!! I can't believe you even did a scalloped edge. Oh, how I wish I had a girl. I *think* I know who you might be giving it to.....

Becca Sharp said...

Wow, that's adorable. You're amazing. I'm very impressed!

Elisabeth said...

Wonderful. Great job :)

Natalie said...

good job! I love quilting and it's nice to see that love finding someone else!

Kelly said...

Nice! That edge looks hard.

Unknown said...

wow, I love that blanket! The fabric, the edges, oh so cute!

April Cobb said...

Oh, I love it! it is so sweet. Good work. And a scalloped edge on your first one? You are daring, indeed!